Initially this is a 2-step process:
Step 1 – Enrolment: From 20 April 2020, employers can now ‘enrol’ with the ATO for the JobKeeper payment using the Business Portal and authentication with your myGovID. Employers must do this by the end of April 2020 in order to claim JobKeeper payments for eligible employees for the month of April. Set up your myGovID to access online services and Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) https://www.ato.gov.au/general/jobkeeper-payment/employers/enrol-and-apply-for-the-jobkeeper-payment/
Alternatively – If you wish for VCA to process the enrolment on your behalf, please contact our office and be armed with the following information:
- Confirmation that your turnover has declined.
- Confirmation of the month that turnover declined.
- Confirmation of the number of ‘eligible employees’.
- Bank account details (Name, BSB & Account Number) into which the JobKeeper payment is to be credited.
We may request details on any of the above in order to verify eligibility.
Step 2: From 4 May 2020, a process of confirming eligible employees for which the employer is seeking JobKeeper Payment will become available. This process can be accessed and lodged by either the employer (i.e. yourself) or your registered tax agent. The steps are as follows:
- Pre-condition:- Ensure you have paid each eligible employee a minimum of $1,500 per JobKeeper fortnight. This is the before-tax amount and PAYG Withholding does apply.
- Identify each eligible employee in the application form by:
- Selecting the employee details prefilled from your STP pay reports, or
- Manually entering employee details in ATO online services, or
- The Business Portal if you do not use an STP enabled payroll solution, or
- Using a registered tax agent who will submit a report on your behalf through Online services for agents.
- Submit the confirmation of your eligible employees online and wait for the confirmation screen.
The ATO will pay you the JobKeeper payment for all eligible employees after receiving your application.
Thereafter each month, you will need to reconfirm the number of eligible employees. This is processed through the ATO online services, the Business Portal or via your registered tax agent. You do not need to retest your reported fall in turnover, but you will need to provide some information as to your current and projected turnover. This will be done in your monthly JobKeeper Declaration report.
Note: If your eligible employees change or leave your employment, you will need to notify the ATO through your monthly JobKeeper Declaration report. https://www.ato.gov.au/general/jobkeeper-payment/employers/enrol-and-apply-for-the-jobkeeper-payment/#ApplyfortheJobKeeperpaymentearlyMay2020
For assistance contact our office on 07 3221 9444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of Issue: 20 April 2020 Author: Noé Vicca
Disclaimer: The contents herein are intended for general information only and should not be construed as legal or accounting advice. Vicca Chartered Accountants Brisbane bears no responsibility for any loss that might occur from reliance on information contained in this publication. Please do not reproduce, transmit or distribute the contents herein in any form without prior permission from Vicca Chartered Accountants, Taxation Accountants Brisbane Australia.